Any links in this post to a merchant may contain an affiliate link, which means that if you click on that link and then buy something, I may earn a commission from it. However, all opinions in this link are 100% mine and 100% honest. If I didn't believe in a particular product, I wouldn't recommend it to you.
Road trips are a great and affordable way for families to travel. They allow you to experience more on your trip, while making lots of memories along the way. But, if you have toddlers, it can be challenging to know what snacks to pack for the car. To make it easier for you, here are the best road trip snacks for toddlers!
We took our first family road trip when my son was just a newborn. By the time he was four, he was a pro at long road trips. And, along the way, I learned a lot about the best snacks to give him in the car.
What makes snacks great for road trips?
What makes a snack one of the best road trip snacks for toddlers? They have to be easy to eat while sitting in a car seat, not messy, easy to transport in the car, and loved by your toddlers.
Best Road Trip Snacks for Toddlers
The best road trip snacks for toddlers are:
1. Cheerios-Cheerios are the ultimate snack for toddlers. Even if they get spilled, they are easily cleaned up. They also won’t leave your little one with messy hands. And they are super easy to transport: just throw them in a ziploc bag and go.
2. Goldfish-Another classic toddler snack is goldfish. They are delicious to eat for little ones. Plus, they don’t cause a mess and are easy to eat in the car. Plus, they come in a variety of flavors and colors, making it easy to keep things interesting and fresh for your little one.
3. Annie’s Bunnies-Like goldfish, Annie’s Bunnies are also great for toddlers to snack on during road trips. You can easily throw a few small bags of them in your bag and give them to your toddler when they get hungry.
4. Fruit snacks-If your kids prefer something chewy and fruity instead of crunchy, then pack some fruit snacks for your next family road trip. Fruit snacks are great for road trips because they come in small packages and don’t take up much space. And they won’t give your kids’ sticky hands.
5. Apple slices-Prefer to give your toddler something healthy? Then grab some packages of apple slices. They don’t have to be refrigerated. And they won’t make a mess in your car. Just remember that if you slice the apples yourself, add a little lemon juice to them to prevent them from browning.
6. Graham crackers-Graham crackers are another classic toddler snack. This is because they are yummy and won’t make a huge mess. Plus, they can easily be eaten by toddlers of any age.
7. Animal crackers-Another easy-to-eat toddler snack that is perfect for road trips is animal crackers. To keep down on the messiness, I would recommend, however, that you pack the regular animal crackers and not the iced ones.
8. Raisins-Another healthy snack that is great for road trips is raisins. Grab a few boxes and throw them in the car with you for snack time. The only drawback to raisins is that they can sometimes leave sticky hands. So, be sure to throw in some wet wipes too!
9. Cookies-Lastly, for a sweet road trip snack for your toddlers, pack some cookies for your little ones. I would recommend staying away from Oreos and chocolate chip cookies because they both can create a mess if you’re not careful.
Worst Road Trip Snacks for Toddlers
The worst road trip snacks for your little ones are those that either get super messy or that need to be kept cool. The worst of the worst are:
Yogurt-While yogurt is normally a great healthy snack for toddlers, it is a terrible snack to pack for road trips because it can easily ruin if not kept cold. Plus, yogurt can make a huge mess! It is definitely not something you want to give your toddler while riding in the car!
Cheese sticks-Like yogurt, these are usually a perfect snack for little ones. But they need to be kept cold before they are eaten. And so, unless you plan to have a cooler in your car, or you give them to your kids to eat immediately, skip them during your road trip.
Chocolate-Chocolate melts too easily to make it a good road trip snack for toddlers. So, I would avoid getting your little ones chocolate while in the car.
Ice cream-Like chocolate, ice cream is not the best snack to give to your toddlers while on your road trip. Instead, save it for once you reach your destination.
Family road trips are so much fun! But, you can’t have a road trip without snacks! So, to make sure you have snacks that you and your little ones will love, be sure to pack some of these best road trip snacks for toddlers on your next trip!
For more road trip ideas, see the best road trip snacks for kids, tips for successful road trips with kids, my ultimate guide to family road trips, screen free activities for road trips, how to save time on road trips, and how to handle kids and car sickness.